Crutched friars

The English name given to members of the military-religious orders; they were canons regular, for example the Order of the Holy Cross (Fratres Cruciferi), founded in 1211. 'Crutched' is a garbled version of 'crouched', a 'crouch' being a cross. Members of these orders might carry a cross in their hands, or have a cross sewn on the chest of their *habit. [< OldEngl. cruc < Lat. crux = a cross]

Dictionary of Medieval Terms and Phrases. .

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Crutched Friars — • An order of mendicant friars who went to England in the thirteenth century from Italy Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Crutched Friars     Crutched Friars      …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Crutched Friars —    South from Jewry Street and George Street and west to Hart Street and Seething Lane. In AIdgate Ward (P.O. Directory).    Earliest mention found in reoords : Street called le Crouchedfrerestrete in parish of St. Olave near the Tower, 1405 (Ct …   Dictionary of London

  • Crutched Friars — The Crutched Friars or Crossed Friars were a Roman Catholic religious order of Augustinian canons who went to England in the 13th century from Italy, where they existed for some time, and where they were called Fratres Cruciferi.[1] Contents 1… …   Wikipedia

  • Crutched-friars — Crutchˈed friars or Crouchˈed friars plural noun An order of mendicant friars so called from the cross which they wore • • • Main Entry: ↑crutch …   Useful english dictionary

  • Crutched Friars — also known as the Brethren of the Holy Cross; not actually considered to be a mendicant group and were much involved with running hospitals …   Medieval glossary

  • Crown Court, Crutched Friars —    North out of Crutched Friars. In Aldgate Ward (O. and M. 1677).    Site has been rebuilt for offices and business houses …   Dictionary of London

  • Gunpowder Alley or Court, Crutched Friars —    East out of Crutched Friars, north of John Street (Wheatley).    First mention: Gunpowder Alley (Westward Ho, 1607, quoted by Wheatley).    Oxford s Almshouses there in 1720 (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 83).    Not named in the maps.    Site now… …   Dictionary of London

  • New Court, Crutched Friars —    North out of Crutched Friars, between Nos. 44 and 45 (Rocque, 1746 Elmes, 1831).    Former name: French Ordinary Court (part) (O. and M. 1677). Site now occupied by Fenchurch Street Station …   Dictionary of London

  • Alam (Alarm) Yard, Crutched Friars —    See Allum Yard …   Dictionary of London

  • Bunt's Yard, Crutched Friars —    See French Horn Yard …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.